We advise anyone who suspects they may have been a victim of drug rape to collect a urine sample as a matter of urgency. Write the date and time on it, and then get it to the police or your local sexual assault referral centre (SARC) and request that they test it for drugs.
Here are details about three substances commonly used in drug rape:
- Rohypnol remains within the system for up to 7 days after administration and is only detected through specific drug testing.
- It takes effect within 20-30 minutes of administration and lasts up to 8 hours.
- It acts as a sedative by inducing amnesia, relaxing the muscles, and slowing down psychomotor responses.
- If combined with alcohol, Rohypnol can increase the feeling of drunkenness and lower inhibitions.
- Ketamine Hydrochloride is a legal drug sold as a veterinary sedative or hospital grade anaesthesia.
- When used in humans the drug acts as a dissociative anaesthesia – leaving the user vaguely aware of, but comfortably detached from, all bodily sensations.
- It can cause any of the following effects: delirium, vivid hallucinations, cardiac excitement, mild respiratory depression, confusion, irrationality, violent or aggressive behaviour, vertigo, slurred speech, delayed reaction time, euphoria, altered body image, coma.
- How quickly it affects and leaves the system depends upon how it is ingested.
- When taken orally or nasally the effects take 10-20 minutes to be realised.
- When taken intravenously the effects are instantaneous.
- The effects last less than 3 hours and the drug is detectable in the system up to 48 hours after this, depending on the method of ingestion.
- GHB is an odourless, colourless liquid that acts on the central nervous system as a depressant/anaesthesia.
- It can cause euphoria, amnesia, intoxication, drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, and/or visual hallucinations.
- This drug takes effect 10-15 minutes after ingestion.
- The effects last for 3-6 hours when taken without alcohol, and 36-72 hours when mixed with alcohol or other drugs.
- In high dosages, it can cause unconsciousness – or even a coma – within 5 minutes of ingestion.
- It is worth noting that some drugs can be traced up to a month later in the hair.
You can find further advice and information relating to drink spiking and date rape drugs here:
“Lifecentre has afforded me the opportunity of processing the abuse I suffered. I now have more self-confidence and am able to deal with my behaviour patterns in a constructive way.”