An information sheet detailing different ways that it may be possible for survivors to claim compensation including the government-funded Criminal Injuries Compensation (CICA) scheme, with links to other organisations that may be able to support with this, and information about finding a suitable solicitor if necessary.

This guide has been produced by Lifecentre to help survivors of sexual violence and
abuse to consider their options and to equip them with information so they are empowered to make their own decisions.

This fact sheet does not contain any legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for
accessing independent legal advice.


Q: How can I claim compensation if I have been the victim of sexual violence/abuse?

A: Not everyone will be eligible, but in certain circumstances, survivors are able to claim compensation for abuse they have suffered either as a child or as an adult.

There are two main routes to claiming compensation if you have been the victim of sexual violence or abuse which are outlined below:



Q: I did report to the Police, so how do I go about claiming from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)?


Q: Will I be eligible for a CICA award and how is it assessed?


Q: How can I find a suitable solicitor?


Q: What is involved in making a personal injury claim through a solicitor?


Q: Will I need to go to Court?




Legal Advice

If you would like to have an initial discussion with a solicitor, Lifecentre is able to put you in contact with Irwin Mitchell, a firm of solicitors who specialise in this area.

Please contact the office at or 01243 786349 if you would like more details about this.

Lifecentre has a connection with Irwin Mitchell but does not recommend their services over any other law firm.

For more information about Irwin Mitchell and their team of specialist abuse lawyers, visit

For information on other law firms visit

Subscribe to our newsletter to hear more about our work. Your details are safe with us; we maintain confidentiality at all times.